- The period of 0-8 years of age is a critical time for oral language development
- Stories told match children's level of understanding.
- They provide a new way to learn how the world works.
- Exposes them to stories from other cultures and different people.
- Storytelling develops their visual imagery.
- Provides opportunities to discuss moral and social issues.
- Increase listening comprehension of stories.
Idea for Infants / Toddlers (6-14 months)
large oatmeal container with lid
photographs of each infant in the classroom and family members
pictures of people from magazines
Cover a large oatmeal containe rincluding the lid with contact paper.Using one container for each infant, securely tape photos of the infant, her family members, or magazine pictures of people to the container.This activity will encourage older infants to move to get to the pictures as they roll away.
For more information on Dr. Isbell, read here.